Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
September 3, 2014
Californiapreps.com Top Ten as of 9/2
The 2014 football season in Southern California is underway. The bulk of Southern California began play on Friday night with a few teams starting their season this weekend. St. John Bosco is the new CaliforniaPreps.com top team in week 1 of the 2014 season.
Here's the new top ten as of 9/2. Last week's rank and current record in parentheses:
By Brandon Tatera
1. Bellflower St. John Bosco (2) (1-0)The Braves opened up their 2014 season in style with a 63-14 blowout in Honolulu over St. Louis High School behind 179 yards on 14 carries with 4 rushing touchdowns by Sean McGrew. Josh Rosen threw for 252 yards and one touchdown He also had a rushing touchdown. They host Norwalk at Cerritos College on Friday.
2. Long Beach Poly (3) (1-0)The Jackrabbits dismantled Los Angeles City Section power Crenshaw 54-14 in the first game of the Antonio Pierce era of Poly football. Josh Love was 15-18 for 235 yards and 2 touchdowns and ran for 2 more scores. Jeremy Calhoun had 90 rushing yards and 107 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns. They host Narbonne on Friday at Veterans Stadium.
3. Santa Ana Mater Dei (4) (1-0)Bruce Rollinson's Monarchs defeated Corona Centennial 38-18 in the annual battle of the perennial powers from Orange County and the Inland Empire. Brandon LaMarche rushed for 95 yards and a touchdown, while Jack Lowary threw for 200 yards and a touchdown. Mater Dei hosts Villa Park at the Santa Ana Bowl on Friday.
4. Gardena Serra (5) (1-0)The Cavaliers beat Lakewood 24-6 to open up their season. Caleb Wilson threw for 156 yards, 58 rushing yards and a rushing touchdown. Wilson joined Khalil Tate and Malik Roberson with rushing touchdowns. They play powerhouse Bellevue of Washington in Oceanside on Saturday.
5. Anaheim Servite (1) (0-1)The Friars lost 48-27 to Bishop Gorman, the top team from the state of Nevada and one of the nation's best. Oregon commit Travis Waller threw for 282 yards and a touchdown and also rushed for 138 yards and a touchdown. Servite plays at Corona High School on Friday.
6. Westlake (7) (1-0)The Warriors won 44-17 at Canyon Country Canyon. Malik Henry threw for 220 yards and 3 touchdowns, two of them to fellow junior Theo Howard. Chase Jasmin rushed for 159 yards. Westlake plays at Red Mountain in Mesa Arizona on Friday.
7. Mission Hills Alemany (8) (1-0)The Warriors opened up their season with a 44-15 win over Los Osos. Dominic Davis rushed for 60 yards and had 2 touchdowns. Brandon Pierce had a kickoff return for touchdown and 84 receiving yards. They travel to Eastside Catholic in Sammamish, Washington on Friday.
8. Upland(10)(1-0)The Highlanders rolled Knight of Palmdale 71-0 to open up their season. Washington State commit Tyler Hilinski was 8-12 for 198 yards and 5 touchdowns, three of them to Malik Yoakum. Sophomore Nathan Tilford rushed for 129 yards on 8 carries and 2 touchdowns. They travel to Redondo Union on Friday.
9. West Hills Chaminade(NR)(1-0)The Eagles beat Venice 70-23 to open up the football season. Okalani Taufahema-Langi rushed for 73 yards and 4 touchdowns. Chaminade had 8 rushing touchdowns. They play Hart at College of the Canyons on Friday.
10. Corona Centennial (6) (0-1)The Huskies lost 38-18 to Mater Dei. Centennial hosts Orange Lutheran at Oceanside on Saturday afternoon. J.J. Taylor rushed for 75 yards and a touchdown, while Javon McKinley had 104 receiving yards and a touchdown. They host Orange Lutheran on Saturday afternoon in Oceanside.
Dropped Out: St. Bonaventure (9). Lost to Helix.